German Federal Chancellor Dr. Angela Merkel visited India from 31 October – 1 November 2019 for the fifth round of Inter-Governmental Consultations (IGC). During the visit, Chancellor Merkel held meetings with India’s President Ram Nath Kovind and Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Chancellor Merkel and Prime Minister Modi reiterated that the Indo-German Strategic Partnership is based on the common values and principles of democracy, free and fair trade, and rules-based international order, as well as on mutual trust and respect.
Key issues in the discussions included jointly driving the digital transformation through Innovation and frontier technologies, especially Artificial Intelligence, making economic growth sustainable by cooperating on Climate Change, creating space for people to people contacts through legal mobility for skilled labour, and contributing to a reliable international order by strengthening and updating multilateral institutions.
India and Germany have also inked 22 agreements pertaining to various fields.
Here’re details of 22 Agreements/MoUs inked between India and Germany.
- Joint Declaration of Intent on Consultations for the period 2020-2024
- Joint Declaration of Intent (JDI) of Regarding Cooperation on Strategic Projects
- Joint Declaration of Intent on Indo-German Partnership for Green Urban Mobility
- Joint Declaration of Intent for Joint Cooperation in Research & Development on Artificial Intelligence
- Joint Declaration of Intent regarding the cooperation in the field of prevention of marine litter
- Implementing Arrangement for Exchange of Personnel between ISRO and German Aerospace Centre
- Joint Declaration of Intent on Cooperation in the Field of Civil Aviation
- Joint Declaration of Intent (JDI) on Cooperation within the International Smart Cities Network
- Joint Declaration of Intent between on Cooperation in the Field of Skills Development and Vocational Education and Training
- Declaration of Intent on Strengthening Economic Cooperation in the field of Start-ups
- Joint Declaration of Intent on the Establishment of bilateral Cooperation Project regarding Agricultural Market Development
- Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) in the field of Occupational Diseases, Re-habilitation and vocational training of Insured Persons & workers with disabilities
- Memorandum of Understanding For Cooperation in Inland, Coastal and Maritime Technology
- Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to promote, establish and expand scientific and Technological research cooperation
- MoU on Establishment of an Academic Collaboration in Ayurveda, Yoga and Meditation
- Addendum to the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Germany on Cooperation in the Field of Higher Education for Extension of the period of Indo-German Partnership in Higher Education
- MoU between National Institute of Agricultural Extension Management MANAGE and the German Agricultural Academy DEULA in the city of Nienburg on collaboration in agricultural Technical and professional training
- Joint Declaration of Intent between Siemens Limited, India and MSDE and German Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development on Skills for Sustainable Growth
- MoU on the Extension of Indo-German Partnership in Higher Education
- Memorandum of Understanding regarding cooperation between the National Museum, the National Gallery of Modern Art, the Indian Museum Kolkata, the Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation and the Stiftung Humboldt Forum in Berliner Schloss
- Memorandum of Understanding between All India Football Federation (AIFF) and DeutscherFußball-Bund e.V (DFB)
- Statement of Intent on the key elements of the Indo-German Migration and Mobility Partnership Agreement.